- Functionally compatible with 16550.
- Supports Character (16450) and FIFO (16550) mode operations.
- Designed optimized for ASIC and PLD implementations.
- Synchronous design with edge triggered flip-flops based on system
- 16-byte FIFO for transmitter and receiver reduces the number of
interrupt to the CPU.
- Holding register in non-FIFO mode eliminates the need for precise
synchronization between the CPU and UART.
- Add or deletes standard asynchronous communication bits (start,
stop, and parity) to or from the serial data.
- Independently controlled transmit, receive, line status and data
- Programmable baud generator divides input clock by 2 to
(216 -1) and generates the 16X clock.
- Synchronous input sampling timed by internal receiver clock.
- MODEM control functions (CTS, RTS, DSR, DTR, RI, and DCD).
- Programmable features: 5 to 8 bit characters, even/odd parities
and no parity, 1, 1.5 and 2 stop bits, programmable baud rate.
- False start bit detection.
- Complete status reporting capabilities.
- Line break generation and detection.
- Internal Loopback.